The Sioux Falls New Homeowner’s Guide to Moving-In

  • Home
  • news
  • The Sioux Falls New Homeowner’s Guide to Moving-In

The Sioux Falls New Homeowner’s Guide to Moving-In

You’ve bought your new home and moved in. Now what? You probably checked to see if the lights turn on and water comes out of the faucets. But what about all of the things that no one tells you about? There are a few things that Radon Crew wants you to look for and get checked out.

 

  1. Sewage System: Everyone knows that problems with your sewage system can cause nasty odors. What you may not know is that tree roots can cause sewage systems to get clogged and damaged. This can cause sewage to back up into the house, leading to extensive property damage. Breaks in sewer lines can even cause rat or insect infestations. A sewer inspection is an important procedure to avoid these problems.
  2. Mold: Perhaps you checked under the carpets for mold on the floors. Even if you thought mold was a small problem or nonexistent, it could be in the walls of your home too. Unchecked mold could destroy your home. Mold can also cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, and eye irritation. In severe cases, breathing in mold spores can even cause asthma to develop. Hiring a qualified mold professional will get you accurate results on mold levels throughout your home.
  3. Asbestos: Most people have never heard of this harmful toxin. Asbestos was often used before the 1980s in insulation and construction materials. There’s no way to know for sure if your home is at risk besides testing. Even grill mitts or aprons made recently can contain asbestos. Damaged asbestos items must be thrown away. Asbestos is most harmful when particles become airborne. If materials in your house with asbestos are intact, you can usually leave it alone. With the presence of airborne asbestos particles, your family could be in danger of certain forms of cancer or lung scarring. Especially if buying a home made prior to the 1980s, you should get the house tested for asbestos.
  4. Radon: Lastly, we, of course, want to warn you about radon. Radon forms in mostly soil and rocks, but also in well water. It can seep through your concrete basement floor into your home. Exposure to radon can produce side effects such as persistent coughing, wheezing, heavy breathing, and lung infections. Here in Sioux Falls, Radon Crew can provide you with an affordable test for radon. Once tested, Radon Crew puts a mitigation system in place to reduce any high radon levels.

If you check these four things, Radon Crew believes you will be on your way to a happier and healthier home in South Dakota.

No Response

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.