September 11, 2017

Gases to be Aware of in Your Home

There are multiple gases that we need to be aware of in order to protect our homes. Radon is one that you should to look out for, but here is a brief summary of some others to check on:

First off is carbon monoxide. Even though many of you have possibly heard of this gas, you may be unaware of what to look for. Well, that’s difficult because carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. This poisonous gas can seep into your home and be fatal if inhaled in large amounts. It usually enters your home through malfunctioning or inappropriately used heating, cooking, or ventilation systems. The easiest way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is by placing carbon monoxide detectors near each bedroom.

Although water vapor may not seem like a problem, it can lead to mold growth. Mold spores are invisible to the naked eye, but they float through outdoor and indoor air. Once they land on wet surfaces, mold will begin to grow. Therefore, if you have too much water vapor in your home, it may cause surfaces to have longer drying periods, making it easier for mold to grow. To avoid this, make sure to take care of any water damage or leaks present within your home.

Nitrogen oxides are something else to look out for. These are a group of gases composed of nitrogen and oxygen with a sharp, sweet smell. It ranges from colorless to brown at room temperature. You can be exposed at home if you burn wood or have a kerosene heater or gas stove. Another way to be exposed to nitrogen oxides is if someone in your home smokes cigarettes. To avoid this problem, make sure gas stoves and heaters are properly vented to the outside and don’t smoke inside your home.

Lastly, we want to make it clear that radon is something to be wary of! It can seep through the concrete below your basement and enter your home. Be sure to call Radon Crew at 605-336-1000 to get your house checked for high levels of radon. We will take care of the whole process from testing to mitigation.